Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jason's TKD Belt Testing

Sheila, Christopher, and Alanna are all taking karate lessons. I decided it might be fun to join them, but I have to watch Matthew and Megan during class. The solution came to us while visiting some neighbors with whom the missionaries were working. I could take Taekwondo classes from this guy who lives down the street from me.

At first I was apprehensive about taking these classes, but fortunately there weren't many other people on the nights that I went. On occasion it was basically a private lesson and I started to develop confidence.

Saturday morning I went in for my first belt test and felt pretty good about how I did. I broke a board, did my forms, demonstrated kicks and blocks, and did some self-defense. Tuesday night I was awarded my yellow belt.

I was also told by Master Ron that the other judge said that I need to enter some tournaments as I have very good form and control for a beginner. Me, the awkward guy who stumbles over his own feet. :) Should I decide to enter any tournies, I will update the blog with my story...whether they be of success or humiliation.

3 comments:

nyc_ransoms said...

Looking forward to it. I know it is terrible to say, I should be a supporting sister but, I am kinda hopping for humiliation- makes for better blogging fodder. ;)

Tara said...

Awesome! Great job, Jason!

Jason in Alaska said...

Well, Celeste, you may get your wish. Look for a blog in early April...I'll be competing in a tournament the last Saturday in March. Alanna, Christopher, and Sheila will in their own non-violent tournament that day too. So, we won't be able to cheer each other on. :(